The pharmacies of Muizenberg have been looking after celebrities and locals for over a century
More than a hundred years ago George Oldham opened his family chemist in Muizenberg treating luminaries such as Cecil John Rhodes (a personal friend). The partnership of Oldham and Badman continued for 14 years whereafter Oldham carried on operating the Pharmacy on the Main Road, Muizenberg.
As the popularity of Muizenberg grew, pharmacy competition evolved with the opening in 1914 of Goodenough and Walker in the Grand Hotel Buildings in 1914.
Muizenberg in the 1920/30’s became “the” place to be and the demand for more family chemists and dispensaries increased.
Three new pharmacies were established by 1924. N. Wortreich took over from George Oldham, A.C. Walker took over Goodenough and Walker and a Mr S.C. Lazarus established a new pharmacy viz. Sims Pharmacy in York Road.
In 1944 Mr M Rosenberg opened another pharmacy in the Majestic Mansions on Beach Road. He operated until 1956 and the business was most likely absorbed by Mr L Reiehlin who ran Atlantic Pharmacy.
Wortreich’s business was taken over by Mr Reichlin in the early 1940’s and Reichlin moved his premises to “below the line “ in 1944 and operated on corner Beach and Atlantic Roads. His son Melville continued running the pharmacy with his father (who remained active until he passed away at age 94). Atlantic Pharmacy eventually closed in 1996.
In 1945 A.C. Walker’s pharmacy in the Grand Hotel Building was taken over by E. Young who changed the name first to Beach Pharmacy and subsequently to Young’s Pharmacy. In 1952 Fred Thomson took over where after he bought the business and called it Tockar's Pharmacy moving to Beach Road in 1971. Tockar's Pharmacy closed in 1986 and was incorporated into Rustenburg Pharmacy in Beach Road, Muizenberg.
Before 1947 Sim's Pharmacy operated in Elliot's Building, York Road and was more than likely taken over by J. Shagham on the comer of Main and York Roads. His son Henry continued running the pharmacy followed by Basil Rick until 1971 when it closed down. Basil Rick also ran an after hours depot in the building on the corner of Camp and Main Roads (opposite the former Marine Hotel)
Later day pharmacies were Cranes (later named Capricorn Pharmacy) in Shoprite Centre and operated from 1990 - 1996 when it was incorporated with Rustenburg Pharmacy.
It should be noted that the final surrender of the Battle of Muizenberg was signed in the House Rustenburg (in Rondebosch) in 1795.
In March 1985, Rustenburg Pharmacy opened its doors in Muizenberg, and has continued the illustrious pharmacy tradition with the partnership of Gerald Musikanth and Sandy Maclean who are both long-standing residents in the area.
It has continued to play host to film stars, politicians, sportsmen and many high profile luminaries in the proud tradition of pharmacies in Muizenberg over the years.